Make a wish: The top 5 requests from children and adults facing the end of life
Patients with terminal illnesses often find meaning by crossing off items from their bucket lists. And they may even reap health benefits.
Here are the top five requests the charities receive:
1. Help paying for basic needs: Many adults with terminal illnesses face financial hardships that put even small comforts beyond reach: air conditioners, for instance, or scooters, or lift chairs. Many also ask for help paying a utility bill, to keep the lights on and power their medical devices.
2. A vacation: Hawaii is the top choice, but national parks are in high demand as well.
3. Travel to a family reunion: Patients often request help paying for travel, food, and accommodations so they can say their last goodbyes.
4. Tickets to Disneyland: Adults love the Magic Kingdom nearly as much as kids, and often seek a final trip to the theme park billed as the “happiest place on Earth.”
5. A day on the town: Many patients ask for simpler pleasures: a day at the spa or a dinner at a favorite restaurant.