Dream Foundation grants final dreams from the heart for adults 18 and over with a life-threatening illness. From our headquarters in Santa Barbara, and with a network of volunteers and supporters, we serve those in the greatest need around the country. We receive no state or federal funding, relying instead on the generosity of our supporters to fulfill dream requests.
What is a dream from the heart?
- The dream must come from the adult battling the illness.
- Dream recipients must be able to communicate their wish and comprehend/participate in the dream experience
What do I need to be able to travel?
- Dreams involving overnight or airline travel require that you have a valid driver’s license or government-issued photo identification, and a MAJOR CREDIT CARD or DEBIT CARD.
- YOU NEED YOUR DOCTOR’S APPROVAL. Travel dreams will require your doctor to sign our medical authorization form, and/or our oxygen release form. If you are not on hospice, we may require a letter of referral from a physician, nurse or social worker, as Dream Foundation works closely with medical personnel to determine the appropriate time to safely carry out the dream.
- TRAVEL DREAMS MUST BE SAFE AND REALISTIC FOR THE TRAVELER, AND REALISTIC FOR DREAM FOUNDATION TO FULFILL
What is included in a travel dream that requires accommodations, and how long can I be away?
- Travel-related dreams needing accommodations last NO MORE THAN 3-4 NIGHTS and ARE NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE. You may be responsible for your own spending money to cover gas, souvenirs, tips, meals and other incidentals. We do our best, however, to provide transportation, meals, hotel accommodations, park passes, etc.
Who can travel with me?
- DREAM FOUNDATION WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU AND YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS OR CAREGIVER – such as a spouse/significant other/caregiver/mother/father and/or any dependent children living in the home, under the age of 18.
- If you want adult children, grandchildren, other relatives or friends to accompany you on the trip, your family is responsible for making arrangements and payment for the additional accommodations, meals, etc.
What if I want to stay with family or have family/friends brought to me? How long can I/they stay?
- Family members or friends brought to you may stay as long as desired unless Dream Foundation must provide outside hotel accommodations/meals etc. In that case, the trip may only last 3-4 nights.
- As much as we’d like to assist with large, extended family trips, our limited resources make it impossible. Therefore, when bringing family to you, we must limit it to 2-3 people depending on available frequent flyer miles and request that all participants travel from one location.
How are airline tickets handled?
- For dreams requiring air travel, we must raise donated frequent flyer miles. IT TAKES BETWEEN 25,000 – 80,000 DONATED MILES PER PERSON TO FLY WITH UNITED, DELTA, ALASKA OR CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. Family and friends are encouraged to donate miles online or by calling our office.
- If frequent flyer miles cannot be raised in time, flights may be purchased if funding allows.
- ALL DREAM RECIPIENTS FLY ECONOMY CLASS.
- All flights are booked at least 14 days in advance so that we may obtain the best price on purchased tickets. Travelers must be flexible on their requested travel dates.
What if I require special medical assistance?
- Because we are not a medical foundation, WE CANNOT ASSIST WITH MEDICAL NEEDS SUCH AS AIR AMBULANCE TRANSPORTATION, OXYGEN, MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, TREATMENTS, NURSES AND AIDES.
- All medical assistance should be pre-arranged by your medical provider. This includes oxygen, wheel chairs, scooters, etc.
- We cannot arrange or provide for hospice care away from home, dialysis treatments, or nursing care while you are away.
- Should you encounter a medical emergency while traveling, we cannot assist with ambulance transportation, emergency room visits or hospital admissions. We cannot incur any additional costs deemed necessary for family members, should their visit need to be extended while you are hospitalized or should funeral arrangements need to be made if death occurs.
What if I want meet a celebrity?
- Celebrity dreams may take a long time to arrange, as they are dependent upon the celebrity’s availability and willingness to participate. Therefore, we cannot guarantee meet-and-greets, phone calls or autographed memorabilia.
- Dream recipients requesting a celebrity dream (actors, musicians, sports figures, authors, etc.) must be able to travel to the celebrity. We cannot request in-home meet and greets.
- You must be able to communicate normally and ambulate without medical assistance when requesting a meet-and-greet. (Remember, this needs to be a positive experience for everyone.)
- DUE TO THE LENGTH OF TIME REQUIRED TO FULFILL A CELEBRITY DREAM, WE ASK THAT REFERRING AGENCIES AND FAMILIES NOT REFER SUCH DREAMS AS EMERGENCY DREAMS.
What is an Emergency Dream?
- Emergency dreams are requests made for those with A LIFE EXPECTANCY OF EIGHT (8) WEEKS OR LESS. We process emergency dreams on a case-by-case basis.
- ANY DREAM RECIPIENT WITH A LIFE EXPECTANCY OF FEWER THAN EIGHT (8) WEEKS REQUESTING TRAVEL OF ANY KIND MUST HAVE A SIGNED MEDICAL AUTHORIZATION FORM AND OXYGEN RELEASE FORM FROM THEIR PHYSICIAN (not a hospice nurse or social worker), which states the recipient is safe to travel and that traveling will in no way jeopardize their health or put them in harm’s way. The dream recipient or caregiver must have a major credit card and proof that – in the event of an emergency – they can provide for any medical needs, extended accommodations, airline changes, emergency and non-emergency transportation, and meals deemed necessary. SUCH DREAMS ARE CONSIDERED ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS AND MUST MEET APPROVAL OF OUR REVIEW BOARD. IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT IF THE DREAM RECIPIENT PASSES AWAY WHILE ON THEIR DREAM, DREAM FOUNDATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE – OR LIABLE – FOR TRANSPORTING THE DECEASED HOME, OR PARTICIPATING FURTHER IN THE DREAM.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS A DREAM?
- The verification process of your application may take up to three (3) weeks, with the exception of emergency dreams. Please make sure your application is completed and everything required has been submitted (please refer to checklist provided). Missing information will delay or halt your application.
- All aspects of each dream are subject to Dream Foundation board approval.
- Please keep in mind – Dream Foundation reserves the rights to its sole and absolute discretion to cancel/change preparation or fulfillment of the dream at any time after signing the agreement if we feel the dream will endanger the health or safety of the recipient. Therefore, we ask that all dreams be realistic for the recipient and for Dream Foundation to fulfill.