Your generous charitable giving has more tax benefits and is made easier when you make gifts through your Donor Advised Fund, Stock or Individual Retirement Account.
Donor Advised Funds
These are an increasingly popular way to make a charitable gift as they provide you with immediate tax benefits while making your charitable giving easier.
- Contact your fund administrator to request a distribution or find their distribution form on their website.
- Notify Dream Foundation to expect your gift and how it will be received (electronic, cash, wire or by check), the amount of the gift, designation and the issuing entity. This will ensure your gift is allocated properly.
- Use our tax ID #77-0405779
A bequest is one of the simplest ways to make a significant gift to further our mission and to support Dreams. A bequest is a gift made through your will or trust and your estate plan advisor can include language in your will or trust specifying a gift be made to Dream Foundation. Bequests provide you benefits such as:
- You leave a lasting legacy to be remembered by
- You lessen the burden of taxes on your family
- You may receive estate tax savings
A bequest can be made in several ways:
- You can gift a specific dollar amount or asset
- You can gift a percentage of your estate
- You can gift from the balance or residue of your estate
- You can make a beneficiary designation of certain assets
Please contact your estate advisor and Dream Foundation about the best way to make a bequest.
Stock or Mutual Funds
Gifts of securities often provide significant tax benefits to the donor.
To make a gift of stock:
- To make an electronic transfer, ask your broker to contact Cindy Hellriegel at email@example.com or call (805) 539-2205.
- If you hold certificates of your stock shares, the certificate can be assigned to Dream Foundation and mailed securely to our office at 1528 Chapala Street, Suite 304, Santa Barbara, CA 93101.
- Once the stock is received and transferred, Dream Foundation will send a receipt to you.
If you are over age 70 1/2, you can give significant gifts annually from your IRA to Dream Foundation. These gifts can be made tax-free and will help satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD). Depending upon your income level, there may be additional income tax benefits.
Benefits of an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution
- Your gift is excluded from taxable income, which is a tax benefit if you do not itemize deductions.
- It may prevent you from being pushed into a higher tax bracket and help you avoid the limit on charitable deductions.
- It allows you to make a significant gift to support Dreams.
How to Make a Gift from Your IRA:
Contact your IRA administrator to instruct them to make a direct gift (a Qualified Charitable Distribution) from your IRA to Dream Foundation.